Analyst / Associate - Energy and Natural Resources
The Energy and Natural Resources Group in Australia is responsible for the origination and implementation of structured and project finance for clients and large projects in the Power and Energy sectors. For over 20 years, we have been advising and lending to multi-billion dollar projects across every part of the power / energy sectors. The Australian based team covers Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea and works closely with our offices in Hong-Kong, Singapore as well as Europe, UK and Americas. We cover a wide range of assets, including solar farm, wind farm, batteries, LNG, oil and gas, petrochemicals, and hydrogen. We have a very active deal flow and the successful candidate will be working in a fast paced and demanding environment that requires an individual who has a strong interest in the energy industry and financial markets.
The successful candidate will hold the following accountabilities:
- Responsibility for financial modelling in support of advisory mandates, including supporting in development of bespoke financial models, conducting detailed scenario and sensitivity analysis and summarising and presenting the results to key stakeholders, tracking relevant documentation and taking the financial model through audit.
- Interrogating the financial model for lead arranger mandates including creating and running of sensitivities and checking integrity;
- Providing day to day transaction support including detailed financial analyses to other team members, with responsibility for functions in certain areas;
- Structuring and pricing of credit applications including undertaking due diligence analysis (including all financial modelling and analytical data and all other relevant financial, accounting and investment information);
- Managing internal processes relating to all arranging and advisory business (e.g. updating databases, memo writing, completing relevant internal system-based processes including all financial data);
- Identifying potential marketing opportunities and preparing pitch and presentation materials (including reviewing feasibility studies, detailed analysis of financial models, statements, cashflows, etc.);
- Starting to establish a network of contacts at key clients and prospective clients;
- Staying abreast of developments in the sector as well as current transactions and opportunities in the market.
- Tertiary qualification in Finance, Commerce, Economics or related discipline
- Post graduate qualifications considered favourably
- At least 2+ years’ experience in a similar or related role
- Experience in a financial institution desirable
- Strong numerical skills with a solid understanding of accounting concepts, financial statements and cashflows
- Financial modelling skills are a requirement
- Strong ability in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office generally
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCY REQUIRED:
- Proven analytical skills as well as exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly explain complex financial issues
- An ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines while maintaining a strong attention to detail
- A capacity to manage multiple tasks and the ability to prioritise tasks as relevant
- Experience of working (including remotely) with people with diverse, international backgrounds and act upon team priorities.
INTERNAL: staff from business divisions and support functions locally, regionally and globally
EXTERNAL: clients and external advisors (e.g. lenders, legal counsel, technical consultants)
Societe Generale, one of Europe's leading financial services groups and a major player in the economy for over 150 years, supports 30 million clients every day with 133,000 staff in 61 countries. Our Group draws on our European roots to develop our activities internationally. Our unique geographic positioning enables us to connect Europe and Africa with major global financial centres in Asia and the Americas. The Group combines financial strength, proven expertise in innovation and a sustainable growth strategy with the objective of creating value for all our stakeholders. We seek to be a trusted partner in the projects of those building tomorrow's world today.
Societe Generale has been present in Australia since 1981. Located in Sydney, we currently provide financing and advisory, as well as global markets solutions. Leveraging the strength of our client coverage and leadership in structured finance including energy, metals & mining, infrastructure finance, together with product and service offerings such as debt capital markets, asset-backed products and commercial real estate finance, Societe Generale supports our Australian wholesale clients in their financing and advisory needs and our global clients who wish to access the Australian market with global banking services. Societe Generale also provides global markets solutions by offering futures execution and clearing, equity derivatives sales and structured product distribution.
We are currently recruiting an experienced Analyst / Associate to join our Energy and Natural Resources team. This is an exciting opportunity to get hands-on experience within a fast-paced, results focused, global organisation that values diversity. The successful candidate will be involved in a broad range of transactions and will build close relationships with local teams and within the organisation more broadly on a regional and global basis.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we are proud to make diversity a strength for our company. Societe Generale is committed to recognizing and promoting all talents, regardless of their beliefs, age, disability, parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation, membership of a political, religious, trade union or minority organisation, or any other characteristic that could be subject to discrimination.