The Societe Generale Group has been in Spain since 1906 offering retail banking products until 1992. Since 1992, the Group changed its focus to Corporate and Investment Banking, Asset Management and Banking Services. Today, the Group is one of the major actors on the Spanish market.
The Legal function is the community of in-house lawyers and Legal support staff of all Société Générale (“SG”) group entities. The Legal department in Société Générale, Sucursal en España (“SGSE”) assists all its divisions, managing their legal risks, providing legal advice and producing or commissioning qualitative normative and contractual legal documentation.
The Legal Function comes under the authority of the Group General Counsel to whom all legal staff report either hierarchically or functionally. Its organization, which is set out in the Charter of the Group Legal Function, is business-driven and based on Group-wide coordination mechanisms that ensure its proper implementation.
This Associate position is located in Madrid where the team is currently composed of 3 lawyers dedicated to the Wholesale Banking activities of Société Générale in Spain (market products, financing and advisory, securities services and corporate global transaction banking)
Its key missions include:
- The definition and Group-wide coordination of Société Générale legal policies to ensure that the legal community speaks with a single voice and tackles issues in a coherent manner
- The closer monitoring and improved control of legal operational risks
- Contributing to the Group's operational efficiency through internal and external cost control
Tasks and responsibilities:
To ensure the legality of the transactions entered into by SGSE or originated by SGSE bankers and business lines and to provide general legal advice to the business divisions of SGSE (as regards Spanish law and, occasionally, English law with the support of other internal qualified lawyers or external law firms) and assist other legal department colleagues or business lines of SG regarding Spanish law matters.
In particular, provide legal advice and draft, review or negotiate legal documentation for or consisting of:
- Domestic and international financing transactions (general corporate facilities, acquisition finance, leveraged finance, project finance, real estate finance, export finance) including bilateral and syndicated facilities, security arrangements, guarantees and intercreditor agreements;
- Master agreements and related documentation for derivatives (FX, currency, equity) under CMOF and ISDA forms;
- Transaction ancillary documents, including non-disclosure agreements, reliance and release letters, support letters, mandates, term-sheets and disclaimers;
- Financial products distribution agreements and brokerage agreements or mandates;
- Custody agreements and other legal documentation related to the securities services division;
- Payments services and trade finance division related agreements including bank accounts, overdraft facilities, confirming, guarantee lines, documentary credits;
- Coordination (with the support of external lawyers) of litigation and pre-litigation matters (specifically including the follow up of bankruptcy and pre-insolvency proceedings and other litigious matters);
- Drafting and coordination of the granting and revocation of powers of attorneys for the employees of SGSE and review of clients’ capacity checks;
- Review and negotiation/approval of non-banking contracts for the SGSE including service agreements, utilities and contracts with other external providers;
- Regulatory proceedings and agreements (CNMV, Stock Exchange, Iberclear).