Description of the Business Line or Department
The GLBA/NAT mission statement is to develop a worldwide business franchise in the Natural Resources, Energy and Infrastructure sector by providing clients with financing solutions as well as providing advisory services. GLBA/NAT provides a full range of finance and advisory services for producers, traders, processors and end-users of energy, metals and soft commodities as well as public sector through four key platforms: Energy group, Metals & Mining finance group, Traders, Commodity finance & Agribusiness group and Infrastructure finance.
GLBA/NAT/NRG is responsible for financing and advisory services for energy projects worldwide as well as structured financings and reserve-based lending for energy players. Reserve Based Finance (GLBA/NAT/NRG/RBF) business provides finance and advisory services to small to medium sized upstream (E&P) oil and gas companies across the globe. The business is global with teams in Houston, Singapore and London. Products range from highly structured project finance loans for upstream projects to secured and unsecured revolving credit facilities to both public and private corporations.
RBF is a highly specialised activity that relies on an in-depth sector understanding and detailed petroleum engineering assessments. It is subject to a combination of risks (sub-investment grade counterparties, emerging markets, reservoir development and performance, commodity price, environmental, reputation and syndication risks) that are interacting with each other. Their management requires a unique combination of skills that cannot be provided by a single individual. As a result, teamwork is essential for a successful origination and reliable risk management.
RBL’s strategy is to lead transactions in acting as Lead Mandated Arranger, Technical Bank, and/or Financial Advisor. In line with the strategy, RBF’s take and hold positions tend to be relatively large in the transactions. The activity requires a particular care in managing conflicts of interest, receiving of material confidential and sometimes insider information, managing potential reputation risks and avoiding being subject or associated to money laundering or financial crime. Each transaction is usually bespoke in order to address particular risks and business objectives. It also evolves in time along with the circumstances. This requires a particularly high level of (i) details in the due diligence and the monitoring (ii) pro-activity in identifying potential issues and (iii) transparency in raising them to management.
RBF’s activity is governed by a management approved guideline (“CORISQ”) for RBF within overall CORISQ for global oil and gas business.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
1. Support and build client relationships with RBF clients and prospects in the EMEA & CIS region by assisting bankers in providing leading upstream and energy transition-focused financing and advisory services
2. Contribute and assist to identify and address clients’ needs in terms of raising and managing capital. Prepare pitch and other marketing material under the supervision of more senior members of the team, ensuring cross sell products of relevant SG products are adapted to clients’ and their markets’ needs.
3. Identify, mitigate and manage financial and non-financial risks of RBF related transactions and opportunities through the enforcement and implementation of the 1LOD and UK Nexus/SMR frameworks, ensuring the strictest implementation and enforcement of all relevant policies, procedures and guidelines.
4. Represent RBF in internal dialogues with colleagues to provide best-in-class financing/advisory services to the client base and promote RBF’s internal brand within SG’s organisation.
1. To support bankers to originate and manage RBF clients in a lead financing role or advisory capacity by addressing their debt financing, advisory and energy transition needs in the EMEA & CIS region
2. To contribute to the effective and responsible execution of financing mandates by preparing and ensuring:
The accuracy, completeness and quality of credit analysis and cash flow modelling
That transactions are structured, documented and executed in compliance with the bank’s risk appetite, policies, procedures, guidelines and approval delegations
That all financial and non-financial risks are accurately identified, presented, mitigated and managed within the 1LOD and UK Nexus/SMR frameworks
Excellent proficiency with all tools and systems
3. To support the development of financing and advisory product offering in line with RBF’s strategy and priorities by:
Evaluating macro and market trends to identify both threats and opportunities to position the clients and RBF business for the future
Contributing to workstreams, preparing white papers, research and business plans on new ideas, products and developments to accompany RBF clients with growth ambitions
Cooperating and collaborating with internal stakeholders such as APF, FSC, ENV, RSE, others, to ensure efficiencies and information sharing
4. To develop the RBF client base in line with GLBA’s and SG Group’s strategy and priorities by:
Collaborating and coordinating with other business lines when RBF is PCRU to effectively deliver on the client’s needs
Developing knowledge of SG and business line products
5. To represent RBF in internal dialogues with colleagues by:
Developing and building strong and credible relationships with all 1LOD support teams, 2LOD teams (Risq, FCU) and 3LOD (Audit, Inspection) in order to manage financial and non-financial risks throughout loan life
Supporting RBF management and senior bankers on bespoke tasks and projects as may be required
6. To set and maintain the highest standards in Culture and Conduct by:
Displaying appropriate behaviour in complying with Code of Conduct principles and guidelines, including completing all required training on time and being up to date on GLBA Handbooks and Conduct obligations
Actively contributing to efforts related to Conduct & Culture activities and events, optional for CSR
Level of autonomy and authority
Supervised for origination, client relationship management and execution, and in compliance with the general directions given by the Head of Reserve Based Finance EMEA and in compliance with the banks’ values, guidelines and business policies and procedures.
Reports to Head of Reserve Based Finance EMEA.
No credit delegation
No direct reports
We are an equal opportunities employer and we are proud to make diversity a strength for our company. Societe Generale is committed to recognizing and promoting all talents, regardless of their beliefs, age, disability, parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, sexual or gender identity, sexual orientation, membership of a political, religious, trade union or minority organisation, or any other characteristic that could be subject to discrimination.