Description of the Business Line or Department
The GLBA/NAT mission statement is to develop a worldwide business franchise in the Natural Resources, Energy and Infrastructure sector by providing clients with financing solutions as well as providing advisory services. GLBA/NAT provides a full range of finance and advisory services for producers, traders, processors and end-users of energy, metals and soft commodities as well as public sector through four key platforms: Energy group, Metals & Mining finance group, Traders, Commodity finance & Agribusiness group and Infrastructure finance.
GLBA/NAT/NRG is responsible for financing and advisory services for energy projects worldwide as well as structured financings and reserve-based lending for energy players. Reserve Based Finance (GLBA/NAT/NRG/RBF) business provides finance and advisory services to small to medium sized upstream (E&P) oil and gas companies across the globe. The business is global with teams in Houston, Singapore and London. Products range from highly structured project finance loans for upstream projects to secured and unsecured revolving credit facilities to both public and private corporations.
RBF is a highly specialised activity that relies on an in-depth sector understanding and detailed petroleum engineering assessments. It is subject to a combination of risks (sub-investment grade counterparties, emerging markets, reservoir development and performance, commodity price, environmental, reputation and syndication risks) that are interacting with each other. Their management requires a unique combination of skills that cannot be provided by a single individual. As a result, teamwork is essential for a successful origination and reliable risk management.
RBF’s strategy is to lead transactions in acting as Lead Mandated Arranger, Technical Bank, and/or Financial Advisor. In line with the strategy, RBF’s take and hold positions tend to be relatively large in the transactions. The activity requires a particular care in managing conflicts of interest, receiving of material confidential and sometimes insider information, managing potential reputation risks and avoiding being subject or associated to money laundering or financial crime. Each transaction is usually bespoke in order to address particular risks and business objectives. It also evolves in time along with the circumstances. This requires a particularly high level of (i) details in the due diligence and the monitoring (ii) pro-activity in identifying potential issues and (iii) transparency in raising them to management.
RBF’s activity is governed by a management approved guideline (“CORISQ”) for RBF within overall CORISQ for global oil and gas business.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
- Providing support to junior and senior members in the building and managing of client relationships with RBF clients and prospects in the EMEA & CIS region by providing support on leading upstream and energy transition-focused financing and advisory services.
- Being involved on the identification and addressing of clients’ needs in terms of raising and managing capital. Actively support the promotion of cross sell of relevant SG products adapted to clients’ and their markets’ needs.
- Support the process of identification, mitigation and managing of financial and non-financial risks of RBF related transactions and opportunities through the execution and implementation of the 1LOD and UK Nexus/SMR frameworks, ensuring the strictest implementation and execution of all relevant policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Support the representation of RBF in internal dialogues with colleagues to provide best-in-class financing/advisory services to the client base and promote RBF’s internal brand within SG’s organisation.
Summary of responsibilities
- Assisting team’s efforts in effectively covering clients to address their borrowing needs in markets
- To support the team's efforts in developing and maintaining a track record of winning mandates in addressing clients' borrowing needs by:
- Supporting in the execution for a delivering on team NBI and profitability targets, maximizing fee-based NBI and cross sell while supporting in the monitoring of RWA budgets
- Prioritizing the quality and importance of the role to the client versus a participation role
- Prioritizing first-of-kind, basin-opening, market-moving, high-impact transactions and opportunities
- Providing support to juniors and senior members in the effective and responsible execution of mandates by:
- Assisting in the production of accurate, complete and high-quality credit analysis and credit files
- Understand the process of structuring, documentation and execution of the transaction, while being in compliance with the bank’s risk appetite, policies, procedures, guidelines and approval delegations
- Understanding and supporting in the identification of financial and non-financial risks, mitigation and management within the 1LOD and UK Nexus/SMR frameworks
- Supporting the junior/senior members of the team in the recovery of files under restructuring or in default
- To support the development of advisory and product offering in line with RBF’s strategy and priorities by:
- Actively supporting junior/senior members of the team in the evaluation of macro and market trends to identify both threats and opportunities to position the clients and RBF business for the future
- Supporting in workstreams, preparation of white papers, research and business plans on new ideas, products and developments to accompany RBF clients with growth ambitions
- Cooperating and collaborating with internal stakeholders such as APF, FSC, ENV, RSE, others, to ensure efficiencies and information sharing
- To assist in the development of the RBF client base in line with GLBA’s and SG Group’s strategy and priorities by:
- Supporting in the mobilisation and coordination with other business lines when RBF is PCRU to effectively deliver on the client’s needs
- To set and maintain the highest standards in Culture and Conduct by:
- Setting and displaying an impeccable example to colleagues in complying with Code of Conduct principles and guidelines, including completing all required training on time and being up to date on GLBA Handbooks and Conduct obligations
- Actively contributing and leading efforts related to Conduct & Culture activities and events, optional for CSR