Director - Energy Advisory & Project Financing
In the Energy Advisory and Project Finance (APF) team, we help power and energy projects get the funding they need to get off the ground. As countries and clients around the world navigate the energy transition, we provide advice and source funding to help them expand.
For over 20 years, we have been at the forefront of project finance, advising and lending to multi-billion dollar projects, and working on many of the deals highly publicized in the press and, importantly, consistently recognized by our clients. We expect this to continue, with a number of large deals expected to close in the coming years.
The New York based team covers clients and projects across the continents of North and South America. We also have teams globally in Europe, Asia, and Australia. In providing our advice and funding, we collaborate with specialists across the range of energy subsectors in which project finance is utilized including thermal and renewable power generation, LNG, oil and gas pipelines, petrochemicals, refining, and fertilizers.
In addition to our core project finance advisory and lending business, we can support clients with a full spectrum of capital solutions through the wider Global Banking and Investor Services division drawing on colleagues’ experience in M&A, Equity Capital Markets, Private Placements, Debt Capital Markets, and Project Bonds.
We were recently awarded ‘Bank of the Year, Europe 2017’ and ‘Global Advisor of the Year 2016” by Project Finance International Last year we also won the Golden Trophy for “Corporate and Investment Bank: Energy, Infrastructure, and Transport Sector”.
The role of the position of Director, in the Advisory and Project Finance Team, is to lead in the execution and the origination of both advisory and arranging activities in the Energy and Project Finance sector (including renewable power, thermal power, midstream/downstream energy, and petrochemicals) throughout the Americas. Day to day responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Act as the primary deal team leader in the execution and origination of both advisory and financing mandates
- Preparation of client pitches and coordination of pitch presentations
- Execution of advisory mandates:
- Preparation of comprehensive financing strategy
- Analysis of financing alternatives/solutions
- Optimization of financing structures
- Preparation of reports and position papers, including presentations to clients
- Review of financial models
- Preparation of financial plan for bid submissions
- Review and comment on relevant commercial agreements
- Review and comment on relevant financing agreements
- Negotiations with clients, potential financiers and public sector investors
- Management and coordination of project closings
- Managing and developing junior staff
- Execution of arranging mandates:
- Preparation of term sheets
- Review of project documentation
- Negotiation of loan documentation with clients
- Identification of opportunities to improve the banks profitability from the transaction
- Risk analysis
- Preparation and presentation of credit applications
- Liaising and coordinating with other departments involved in the transaction
- Supervision of the closing process
- Ongoing support of the transaction post financial close
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the Power & Energy sector, as well as current market conditions and financing trends.
- The identification of opportunities in the market.
- Maintaining and building relationships with target clients.
Competencies, Skills and Qualifications:
- Technical Skills:
- Extensive experience in structuring, accounting/tax analysis and procurement of tax equity investors/investments for renewable and/or transition related financings
- Strong financial modelling skills
- Strong numeracy skills, intimate understanding of accounting concepts, financial statements, cashflows and corporate finance valuation.
- Strong credit analysis skills (formal Credit training is a plus)
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- Good knowledge of Bloomberg
- Strong presentation skills, both orally and in writing
- Capacity to understand complex financial structures and familiarity with credit and related legal documentation
- Ability to excel in a fastpaced, pressure orientated environment and deliver under tight deadlines
- Solid understanding of financial markets
- Ability to work in a team structure
- 8+ years of prior experience in project financing with direct involvement in bid situations financial closes
- 3+ years in developing complex financial models for project finance transactions
- Educational Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree (mathematic, physics, engineering or economy/finance/business) from a top tier university
- Fluent English
- Second language a plus (Spanish speaking)