Director - Mining, Metals and Industries
The global Natural Resources & Infrastructure Group within Societe Generale provides a full range of project finance and advisory services for producers, traders, processors and end-users of energy, metals and minerals as well as public sector through four key platforms: Energy; Mining, Metals and Industries; Trade and Commodity Finance; and Infrastructure.
The Mining, Metals and Industries business line is responsible for the origination and implementation of advisory, structured corporate finance, and project finance to miners, metals producers, and players in downstream industries including recycling and EV batteries. The business line operates internationally with teams based in Europe, Asia Pacific (Hong Kong and Sydney) and the Americas.
The Director – Mining, Metals & Industries will be responsible for:
- Contributing directly to the business in Asia Pacific and the global Mining, Metals and Industries Finance department with a key focus on the Australian business, consistent with its strategy;
- Leading the origination and execution of mandates to arrange tailor-made finance transactions for clients;
- Introducing other internal departments to clients or transactions (i.e. cross-sales).
As such, they will focus on:
- Maintaining and building relationships with target clients.
- Originating advisory and lead arranging roles in the Metals, Mining and Industries sectors
- Overseeing the successful execution of advisory mandates through the entire lifecycle of the mandate (including the determination and negotiation of financing terms & conditions, the management of the due diligence process, reviewing and providing senior input into credit applications, term sheet drafting and preparation of offers and agreements, negotiating and executing loan documentation assisted by external and/or internal lawyers)
- Coordinating and working jointly with teams internally in the primary and/or secondary distribution of loans in accordance with the agreed strategy
- Managing cross boarder transactions with teams based in Asia Pacific and in other global locations
- Leading client pitches
- Monitoring and providing follow-up in the client relationship and providing business line input in respect of the monitoring of transactions and their documented terms and conditions throughout the life of transactions
- Managing lending mandates from interaction with clients and advisors, review and negotiation of documentation, analysis of the profitability, identification and analysis of risks, coordination and support of other internal teams involved in the transaction and the supervision of the closing process
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of developments and current trends in the Australian market
- Maintaining a strong personal network of industry, client and peer contacts
- Playing an active role in the on-the-job training and development of the business line’s junior staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Engineering or Business Studies or a professional financial qualification
- Post graduate qualifications considered favourably
- At least 8-15 years structured finance experience including metals, mining and industries
- Advisory service experience considered favourably
- Understanding of the loan and bond markets and related instruments, including credit and rates derivatives
- Established network of industry contacts
- Capacity to understand and manage risks (conduct, reputational, financial, etc.) for the business line and the organisation and act responsibly in line with Societe Generale Values, Code of Conduct, and other applicable rules & regulations
- Capacity to generate pitch material that is clear, structured, compelling, and comprehensive in addressing clients’ needs
- Ability to build and maintain trusted client relationships in a lead role
- Commercial acumen and persistence in addressing clients’ needs
- Proactive approach to develop business adapted to clients’ and markets’ needs
- Ability to develop new client base, advisory, and products in line with Societe Generale priorities and strategy
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with proven commercial know-how
- Ability to work in a small team environment and with teams based in different geographical locations
- Ability to manage self and juniors in prioritising tasks and managing competing deadlines
- Ability to deliver coherent messages to team members and other stakeholders
- Proven ability to work in an evolving multicultural environment with people with diverse, international backgrounds
Societe Generale, one of Europe's leading financial services groups and a major player in the economy for over 150 years, supports 30 million clients every day with 133,000 staff in 61 countries. Our Group draws on our European roots to develop our activities internationally. Our unique geographic positioning enables us to connect Europe and Africa with major global financial centres in Asia and the Americas. The Group combines financial strength, proven expertise in innovation and a sustainable growth strategy with the objective of creating value for all our stakeholders. We seek to be a trusted partner in the projects of those building tomorrow's world today.
Societe Generale has been present in Australia since 1981. Located in Sydney, we currently provide financing and advisory, as well as global markets solutions. Leveraging the strength of our client coverage and leadership in structured finance including energy, metals & mining, infrastructure finance, together with product and service offerings such as advisory and structured financing, debt capital markets, asset-backed products, and commercial real estate finance, Societe Generale supports our Australian wholesale clients in their financing and advisory needs, and serve our global clients who wish to access the Australian market with global banking services. Societe Generale also provides global markets solutions by offering futures execution and clearing, equity derivatives sales and structured product distribution.
We are currently recruiting a Director to join our Mining, Metals and Industries team based in Sydney, Australia. This is an exciting opportunity within a fast-paced, results focused, global organisation that values diversity. The successful candidate will lead origination and execution activities across a broad range of structured finance transactions in the Australian and Asian market and will have the opportunity to build close relationships with the teams onshore and within the organisation more broadly on a regional and global basis.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we are proud to make diversity a strength for our company. Societe Generale is committed to recognizing and promoting all talents, regardless of their beliefs, age, disability, parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation, membership of a political, religious, trade union or minority organisation, or any other characteristic that could be subject to discrimination.