Description of the Business Line or Department
This role is based within the Global Banking & Investor Solutions (GBIS) Human Resources Support Unit and delivers a key senior function within the UK & EMEA HR department. With 18,000 employees working in 53 countries, Global Banking & Investor Solutions focuses on the needs of corporates, financial institutions, public sector, family offices or high Net Worth Individuals. It covers Corporate & Investment Banking, Private Banking, Asset Management and Investor Services.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
The role is responsible for the design, implementation and coordination of compensation policies within the UK and EMEA regions (excl. France), in alignment with GBIS and SG Group Compensation and Benefits strategy.
It is also responsible for oversight of HR Systems and Projects in the UK. It is also responsible for oversight of the SG UK Defined Benefit Pension Scheme.
Summary of responsibilities
- Senior Management Function (SMF) delegated responsibility for all UK C&B topics, including compliance with the UK Remuneration Code. Maintain sufficient checks/balances/reporting to discharge the responsibilities of Head of HR's SMF role.
- Co-designing, deploying and coordinating the Annual Compensation Review (ACR) for the region, alongside the Global C&B team. Management of key processes and analytics, determination and distribution of envelopes, benchmarking analysis and transversal reviews of compensation across Business Units and countries. Also coordinating employee communications and payment.
- Ensure directly, or via the team, a strong level of support to senior managers and HR Business Partners/Heads of HR across the UK and EMEA both during and outside the ACR process.
- Support coordination and provision of information to the central compensation team in Paris on global and local processes and data requirements. Develop strong relationship with key HR stakeholders in the headquarters.
- During the ACR, partner with senior management and HRBPs of key BU/SU in terms of definition and allocation of ACR envelopes.
- Input, alongside the Global C&B team, on the design, development, implementation and ongoing administration of global compensation programmes, with a specific focus for employees in the UK and EMEA.
- Assist in the development and delivery of presentations and communications to key stakeholders on all compensation topics including the ACR, regulatory impacts and other processes.
- Manage and oversee the provision of compensation benchmarking and analytics to HR and the business including managing relationship with providers. Also maintaining external contacts and industry group participation to remain up to date on compensation trends.
- Manage and implement changes to compensation arrangements in relation to acquisition projects from time to time.
- Establish processes to ensure correct recording, communication and payment of deferred compensation awards.
- Manage the processes related to buy-out arrangements of unvested deferred compensation from prior employers for candidates.
- Establish policies, governance and process to ensure adherence to local remuneration regulation across the region. Be a subject matter expert on remuneration regulation and ensure line of sight on changes that will impact the business.
- Manage and coordinate the schedule, analysis and papers to support local Remuneration Committees and regulatory obligations related to remuneration. Liaise with entity Board members directly to ensure they are supported on remuneration topics.
- Accountability for gender pay and other diversity remuneration reporting as required, ensuring a close coordination with other business stakeholders and communications teams.
- Manage the liaison with the Payroll team to process deferred bonuses, buy-outs and cash bonuses, and involvement in payroll checking.
- Support with the implementation of ad hoc compensation arrangements as appropriate.
- Manage the coordination with the HR Systems teams to ensure correct implementation of compensation information on HR Systems.
- Act as a leader and coach to the Compensation Team in the UK and EMEA. Ensure team operates collaboratively and effectively and is clear on long-term and short-term objectives. Focus on team development of skills and competencies.
- Coordinate strongly with the other Compensation teams in the regional hubs to ensure a collaborative and aligned approach to compensation policies.
- Participate in departmental initiatives as a senior team member within UK & EMEA HR, collaborating with colleagues and other senior stakeholders on shared objectives.
- Support UK & EMEA HR on other transversal projects as required.
- Specific responsibilities related to HR Systems & Projects:
- Oversight responsibility for core UK Systems (specifically PeopleSoft) with day-to-day responsibility delegated to Head of HR Systems & Projects.
- Ensure resources, governance and planning is in place to support the delivery of HR systems to the business and HR teams in scope.
- Support Head of HR Systems & Projects with stakeholder management and strategic planning. Ensure UK Exco visibility on HR Systems initiatives.
- Oversee HR projects function in coordination with Head of HR Systems and Projects. Ensure project resources are deployed effectively and that support is given to key HR projects in an effective way.
- Specific responsibilities related to defined benefit (DB) pension plans:
- Oversight of the management of the DB plan in the UK, working with the Pension & Benefits Director, Finance and Risk departments to manage liabilities, managing relationship with Trustees, co-designing long term strategy for the plan.
- Oversee management of other DB plans in EMEA in coordination with SG Group Compensation and Benefits.
- Support the proper accounting of DB plans under IAS-19 rules.
Level of Autonomy and Authority
- Design and management of UK-specific compensation policies and programmes
- Regulatory remuneration policies
- HR Systems oversight