Key Skill areas & Knowledge required:
- Strong working knowledge of Corporations Act, Banking and Finance Law, Australian Standards and other relevant legislation
- Proven experience of the Australian licensing and banking regimes
- Knowledge and understanding of brokerage business – exchange-traded futures and options, equities and FX products
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) with proven ability to communicate effectively and convincingly on Compliance and regulatory matters to a broad range of stakeholders
- Previous managerial experience with proven leadership skills
- Action-oriented mindset with a genuine curiosity about new markets, products and regulatory constraints
- Proven ability to work independently and a capacity to take initiative within one’s scope of responsibility
- Ability to work remotely in an efficient way with partners based in regional and head office locations
Tertiary legal, accounting or other professional qualifications and at least 10-15 years in the Compliance profession with at least 5 years in a senior position, preferably with experience as the Head of Department
Serving 31 million customers in 66 countries, Societe Generale is one of Europe's largest financial services organisations. We employ 146,000 people in 67 countries worldwide. Based on a diversified universal banking model, Societe Generale combines financial solidity and a strategy of sustainable growth. Our objective: to be the leading relationship-focused bank, a reference in its markets, close to its clients and chosen for the quality and commitment of its teams.
Opened in 1981, and located in Sydney, Societe Generale in Australia provides investment banking services specifically in global finance, coverage & investment banking and global markets. Societe Generale has recently been re-authorised as a foreign ADI on 16 May 2019 via Societe Generale Sydney Branch. This authorisation enables Societe Generale to grow its Global Finance and Coverage & Investment Banking activities on the ground and expand its activities to additional opportunities by leveraging the strength of its coverage and its leadership in structured finance, including recognised expertise in energy, metals & mining and infrastructure financing, together with enhanced product and service offerings such as bond issuance, securitisation / asset backed products and real estate finance.
There are currently 45 members of staff in Sydney, representing 10 different nationalities, from different business lines and corporate functions. We are currently looking for a Head of Compliance to join us. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team in a growth phase and get hands-on experience within a fast-paced, results focused, global organisation. The successful candidate will be able to build close relationships with the teams onshore and within the organisation more broadly on a regional and global basis.