The SGUS Compliance Department monitors the corporate banking, investment banking and broker–dealer activities of SGUS and reports on the compliance risks and issues to SGUS and Global Compliance Senior Management. Additionally, the SGUS Compliance Department works closely with the Global Compliance Department in Paris to ensure effective implementation of Global Compliance policies and to coordinate all cross-border business transactions and activities. The SGUS Compliance Department is responsible for monitoring the handling of sensitive confidential business information by SGUS personnel through the Compliance Control Room. It administers the SGUS Employee Investment Policy, arranges for the registration of broker–dealer personnel, and conducts compliance training. The Advisory Team provides the various business lines with guidance and advice on relevant rules and regulations. The US Financial Crime team is responsible for ensuring compliance with anti-money laundering (“AML”), Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act, OFAC and sanctions regulations for the US operations. Additionally, AML oversees key processes and risks of the KYC department.
Within Compliance, the Chief Operating Officer team (COO) for the Americas region acts as a trusted partner to the Director of Compliance and the Compliance Executive Committee and works with the different managers on a variety of strategic, budgetary, staffing, expenses, communication, project and process matters. Essentially the COO Team is here to enable our department to perform its functions.
The COO team is a small team which requires the sharing of responsibility to ensure proper coverage and backup as well as close coordination on the different matters.
Day-to-Day Responsibilities – Chief Operating Officer for Compliance
Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Develop the department yearly budget with close partnership with the Head of Compliance, the Paris Head-Office and the Finance department.
- Review and approve department expenses and monitor against annual budget. Perform regular cost review and identify cost savings initiatives
- Manage and monitor department staffing and landing plans for full-time, interns, VIE and contractors
- Monitors Consulting expenses
- Develop departmental communications by working with managers and other members of the Compliance team, as well as the Corporate Communications department
- Ensure Compliance staff have the necessary technology means to perform their function
- Facilitate with Human Resources the hiring of employees, interns, contractors for the Compliance managers
- Responsible for short and long-term space management in our different offices, and capacity and business continuity plans for the department.
- Manage Firm-wide change projects and ongoing enhancement for the department
- Manage Service Level contracts for services performed by Compliance teams across different legal entities
- Facilitate the Third-Party Vendor risk process for any vendors engaged by a Compliance team.
- Manage, perform and enhance as necessary the Legal Entity Annual Survey process in order to properly disclose our global Broker-Dealer, Municipal Advisor and Reg-W affiliates to regulators.
- Perform as-hoc analysis based on departmental or firm-wide data to drive initiatives or provide support for management decision-making.