Société Générale's Legal Department in Canada includes a dynamic and motivated team of professionals responsible for identifying and managing all legal, regulatory and contractual matters of the Canadian SG entities, as well as advising other SG entities around the world on Canadian legal matters.
The selected candidate will report directly to the Canadian General Counsel.
This position is for a 12 month contract, beginning August 23rd, 2021
Roles and Responsibilities
The Legal Counsel will be primarily responsible for generally assisting the General Counsel department in advising on various matter, including employment related matters and other matters covered by different areas of law such as privacy, contractual review, governance and internal policies. This will include:
- Working with the Human Resources department, Compliance department and other internal clients to provide guidance and practical solutions;
- Providing legal advice on a variety of employment related matters;
- Reviewing a wide range of agreements, including offers of employment and severance agreements and other types of agreement such as non-disclosure agreements, service agreements (including intercompany outsourcing agreements) and other commercial contracts;
- Reviewing, advising on, or drafting of HR and Compliance policies, and the interpretation of HR and Compliance policies and programs related to employees;
- Assisting the General Counsel to work on and complete internal controls and other projects involving the Legal Department;
- Participating in the Legal Department’s legal watch, conducting research and drafting legal memoranda and notices on a variety of topics; and
- Performing other tasks as assigned by the General Counsel from time to time.
The candidate must be able to work independently and proactively, and must also have excellent analytical and writing/drafting skills.
The candidate must also have the ability to prioritize several simultaneous requests in a high pressure environment, while maintaining a fast and logical approach and speed of execution. The person must also be comfortable with new technologies and have an open mind to innovate to increase efficiency and execution of the work performed by the legal department.
The candidate must show a lot of initiative, be a team player and have a high sense of responsibility and organization.