Description of the Business Line or Department
The Corporate Communication team at Societe Generale UK is responsible for ensuring:
- The definition of the Communication strategy in the UK, in line with Societe Generale Group Communication.
- The promotion of Societe Generale’s brand, culture, values, and business expertise in the UK.
- The support of its business activities, principally in Financing & Advisory, Global Market and Investment Services, Wealth and Asset Management.
The Communication team is organised around two pillars:
• Thought Leadership
• Corporate Engagement
Brand, Sponsorship, Internal Communications, Events and CSR are part of the Corporate Engagement pillar. The Thought Leadership pillar includes Media Relations, Editorial and Business Line communication partners.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
Working within a very busy media relations team, the primary purpose of this role is to promote, protect and raise the profile of various business lines within the Global Banking and Investor Solutions (GBIS) division.
The team works very closely with Group and regional GBIS media relations colleagues on all aspects of proactive and reactive media activities, including press releases, interviews, messaging, Q+A's, statements, press strategy and organising press events/roundtables as appropriate
The role involves close collaboration with press spokespeople and heads of business, along with an external PR agency, to identify key industry themes and trends and opportunities for comment.
The role reports to the Head of UK Media Relations.
Summary of responsibilities
Within the team, the Media Relations Manager’s main responsibilities are:
- Support business objectives within the global GBIS framework, with a focus on Global Banking & Advisory business line
- Work in close collaboration with wider COMM team to adopt a 360 degree approach whenever possible to maximise exposure internally, externally and via social media channels for promotion of deals, op-eds and award wins
- Align with marketing and communications plans to raise visibility of transversal themes and key priority sectors, such as ESG/ sustainable finance and TMT, by continuing to build and develop relationships with key UK press and spokespeople to raise awareness through various initiatives. This could include face to face meetings, telephone interviews, promotion of deals, case studies, thought leadership/op-ed opportunities, webinars, outlooks, podcasts, or opportunities for market trend pieces
- Help to co-ordinate high profile award submissions and arranging pitch interviews etc
- Provide strategic counsel and recommendations to the business lines to prepare spokespeople for journalist meetings – including media training/message development, and to flag and provide guidance for any positive or negative angles that may arise
- Measure impact of press activities and aligned to KPIs
- Continue to manage/develop relationships with colleagues across COMM functions and other key business stakeholders in Marketing, HR etc to ensure best practice and sharing of ideas and information;
- Contribute to important milestones and priorities defined at Group and GBIS level
- Support the Head of UK Media Relations on strategic planning and other core business lines within GBIS when necessary
To be considered for this role, we’re looking for someone who has considerable experience of external communication, particularly in media relations or as an ex-journalist, and strong stakeholder engagement within large complex organisations. You’ll have had extensive experience in creating and delivering proactive PR programmes and you’ll be an excellent writer who is not afraid to constructively challenge.