Base Salary Range: $108,000 - $240,000
Base salary range does not include overtime pay, bonus and/or other benefits, where applicable. Actual base salary offer will vary based on skills and experience.
The mission of the SGUS Legal Department is to protect SG from legal, regulatory, reputational and other risks, while at the same time assisting the SGUS business units in the achievement of their legitimate business interests by providing legal advice, drafting and reviewing legal documentation and ensuring that business is conducted in compliance with relevant laws and regulations. The SGUS Legal Department is also responsible for (a) overseeing US litigation, enforcement actions and those investigations deemed to be under the scope of responsibilities of the SGUS Legal Department; (b) promoting strong and ethical legal culture within SGUS; and (c) identifying and taking relevant steps to mitigate legal risk arising in SGUS. Accordingly, the SGUS Legal Department seeks to provide effective and quality legal services and representation to SG on all matters having legal and regulatory significance to the management, businesses or operations of SG in the United States. The SGUS Legal Department works closely with the Group Legal Department in Paris to ensure timely and effective implementation of Global Legal Function policies and procedures, and to coordinate, where necessary or appropriate, on all cross-border business transactions and activities.
The attorney desired will provide legal, regulatory and transactional advice and counsel to clients in SG’s Prime Services & Clearing business line in connection with a variety of exchange-traded derivatives, securities and other sales & trading activities. The work will generally include drafting, reviewing and negotiating all manner of transaction documentation; providing advice and counseling on documentation; structuring and negotiating transactions; advising and supporting clients in new product development; following and advising legal and regulatory developments affecting covered products and businesses; working with multiple stakeholders within the firm (risk, tax, accounting, compliance, etc.) as well as with the primary business personnel; and coordinating/supervising activities of external counsel.
- At least 4+ years of broad-based professional U.S. legal experience, with experience in OTC or exchange-traded derivatives (any asset class) repo and securities lending transactions or other capital markets financial products. Some background in U.S. banking and securities regulations, Dodd-Frank swap is desirable.
- Previous Experience with financial & commodities futures and/or cleared OTC derivatives is highly desired.
- Diligent work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability and willingness to learn new and unfamiliar areas of law and business
- Highly intelligent, capable and responsible
- Excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills
- Flexible and creative personality, adaptable to changing business and product mix
- Strong client service mentality
- Ability to balance commercial needs while protecting the interests of the bank
- Ability to listen to diverse points of view
- Basic computer skills (Word, email, etc.)
- Ability to prioritize tasks and effectively respond to and service demanding clients
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in a commercially accessible manner
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Fluency in English and experience in legal drafting in English
- Ability to exert influence and persuade others
- Ability to take a position even in absence of broad-based support
- Ability to conceive of and manage complex projects
- Skill and experience in managing interdisciplinary projects and project teams.
PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years working in a major US law firm with a specialized focus on OTC derivatives, structured products and/or sales & trading issues, with respect to any asset class.
- Experience in a bank or other financial services institution with similar businesses to SG Americas.
- Active Member, New York State Bar
- Law degree from a well-regarded U.S. law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Undergraduate degree from a well-regarded 4-year college/university
At Societe Generale, we live by our 4 core values of commitment, responsibility, team spirit and innovation. We are engaged and demonstrate consideration for others. We act ethically and with courage. We focus our talent and energy on collective success. We experiment and propose new ideas. This way, we maximize our ability to serve client needs and anticipate market changes. Societe Generale is committed to strengthening bonds with colleagues, communities, and the world in which we live, because relationships are at the heart of how we operate.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission: Recruit, develop, advance, and retain a diverse workforce that is united in our efforts to enhance our competitive position and deliver innovative solutions to our clients.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Vision:
• Engaged workforce that is demographically diverse in a way that reflects the communities in which we operate
• Inclusive culture and workplace that recognizes employees' unique needs and utilizes their diverse talents
• Engage our community and marketplace, and position the organization to meet the needs of all its clients
For more information about our D&I initiatives, please visit this link (https://americas.societegenerale.com/en/societe-generale-about/diversity-and-inclusion/)
HYBRID WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Societe Generale offers a hybrid work arrangement that offers employees the flexibility to work remotely, as well as on-site, in order to promote interaction and collaboration with colleagues while adhering to all SG standard protocols. Hybrid work arrangements vary based on business area. The applicable Business lines will determine and communicate the work arrangements that best meet their business needs.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we are proud to make diversity a strength for our company. Societe Generale is committed to recognizing and promoting all talents, regardless of their beliefs, age, disability, parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation, membership of a political, religious, trade union or minority organisation, or any other characteristic that could be subject to discrimination.
- Reference: 230005EN
- Entity: SG CIB
- Starting date: 2023/04/24
- Publication date: 2023/02/28