Description of the Business Line or Department
The aim of our Service Unit (GBSU) is to deliver day-to-day services to GBIS Business Units and their clients to accelerate the transformation. GBSU is organised under the following structure:
- A transversal client group
- Several service and product orientated entities
- A transversal data entity
- Seven centres of expertise
Within each of these groups are dedicated Information Technology (IT) teams who are aligned with the mandate of the Support Unit groups.
The aim of the IT teams of GBIS is to translate ideas into action by combining the strength of expertise in IT with a deep understanding of investment banking.
IT works to ensure that it delivers the services the businesses need to compete and to serve Société Générale's clients. The objective is to deliver production services in a well-controlled and cost-effective way, and to deliver competitive application systems and infrastructure that allow GBIS to grow its business in existing and new markets, launch new products and take advantage of new opportunities when they arise.
- Delivering IT services and solutions that enable GBIS to deliver its business objectives.
- Ensuring a cost effective, high quality, flexible and well controlled production service for business applications systems and IT infrastructure (service delivered by RESG/GTS).
- Facilitating entry to new markets, compliance with regulatory rules, growth in needs, adherence to market business volumes, and operational efficiency improvements in our overall front to back processing environment.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
As a Software Engineer, they have a transversal role and will take in charge the business analysis, the development/enhancement of existing and new solutions, manage internal projects as well as managing the vendor relationship for our local business partners/sponsors (Facilities, Corporate Social Responsibility, Compliance, Finance ...)
• Gather & Analyse business requirements by liaising with Product Owners/ Business Partners
• Responsible for delivering working code that meets acceptance criteria and using Software best practices such as TDD, Continuous Integration, Legacy refactoring, and continuous deployment
• Participate in testing, deployment, and production activities of the team to ensure production stability, applying the best practices provided by the production practices league.
• Ensure vendor relationship and coordination with technical consultant as part of project/support to deliver and maintain new and existing applications
As an application manager, they carry out and coordinates projects and corrective and upgrade maintenance activities:
• Provides, with a functional and technical view, support, and advice to contributors, in accordance with the contract entered into with the commissioning business line
• Guarantees maintenance of functional and technical knowledge for the sustainability of applications
• Assists and advises in terms of software configuration, standardisation and method to obtain the desired conformity and quality
• Ensure full compliance with the internal IT Risk Framework, regulations, practices and processes – for example performing disaster recovery testing, and overseeing technical security assessments.
Summary of responsibilities
• In conjunction with the business line and technical architects, takes part in the project architecture
• Develop code using Software Craftsmanship best practices such as domain driven development, test driven development, continuous integration, legacy refactoring, continuous delivery and continuous deployment
• Develop code leveraging a diverse technology eco-system with the ability to understand and deliver working software across multiple layers of the technology stack.
• Responsibilities include writing code, unit tests, checking code to source code repository, monitoring delivery pipeline activity, to ensure product quality and consistency
• Apply a clean infrastructure policy. Applications must be on up-to-date infrastructure (cloud, push on docker migration)
• Perform end-to-end testing by defining test scenarios, documenting defects, and ensuring that the product aligns to the target visions before it used operationally by the business
• Assist in drafting release notes
• Delivers and support the application with continuous delivery tools on all environments (DevOps)
• Verifies that entry criteria for each release candidate is fulfilled prior to deployment (CM/RM)
• Lead deployments, develop run books, develop contingency and rollback plans
• Supports inquiries, issues, and major events to identify root cause and resolution
• Ensures Support processes and practices given by the Support Chapters are applied by the team
• Takes charge of corrective and upgrade maintenance of the components developed.
• Single contact point for the customer business lines, assurance of a standard and consistent operating mode
• Perform disaster recovery tests and patch updates of servers
• Responsibility to adhere to internal Policies that relate to you, your business or other businesses for which you have any level of responsibility. It is your responsibility to ensure compliance with operational and conduct risk requirements (e.g. data leakage, security policies and regulatory requirements).
• Adhere to individual and where applicable department conduct rules in accordance with the FCA and PRA Code of Conduct rules
• Responsibility for managing, controlling, preparing and escalating risk within the scope of your position and in line with existing policies.
• Responsibility to ensure that you take reasonable steps to be fully aware of, understand and comply with all regulatory requirements from all regulatory and statutory bodies, trading venues, etc that are applicable to your role and business line.
• To assist in the self-identification of all conduct related issues. Ensure escalation to appropriate stakeholder or function whether internal or external.
• Adhere to business line mandates relevant to the role as directed by your manager
• Demonstrate an active participation in the UK Roadmap (tech leagues, CSR, …)
This description is intended to outline the main responsibilities for the role and is not an exhaustive list, responsibilities may vary from time to time as directed by your manager.